Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Swing Life Away



Am I loud and clear or am I breaking up?
Am I still your charm or am I just bad luck?
Are we getting closer or are we just getting more lost?
I'll show you mine if you show me yours first
Let's compare scars I'll tell you whose is worse
Let's unwrite these pages and replace them with our own words

We live on front porches and swing life away
We get by just fine here on minimum wage
If love is a labor I'll slave 'til the end
I won't cross these streets until you hold my hand

I've been here so long I think that it's time to move
The winter's so cold summer's over too soon
Let's pack our bags and settle down where palm trees grow
I've got some friends some that I hardly know
But we've had some times I wouldn't trade for the world
We chase these days down with talks of the places that we will go




I've loved this song for so long, well before I started working on Hayman Island. Funnily enough I was sitting on my front porch in the staff village when this song came up on the play list I was listening to. I sat there quietly, absorbing the words, realising how much they described my life at the present time. Elements of the song depict work, my friends, relationships and the island perfectly. 'I've got some friends some that I hardly know. But we've had some times I wouldn't trade for the world. We chase these days down with talks of the places that we will go.' This lines describes the social scene perfectly. Living on that island, you learn to make friends very quickly and quite often experience some amazing things with people who have only known for a few days. I found this often is how great friendships were formed. And of course meeting people who are in the middle of traveling the world (or Australia), you often get swept up with peoples talks of where their next stops will be. I saw a number of people deciding to go on a world trip with someone over a beer at the bar. It is safe to say that I reminisce about my times on Hayman every time i hear this song.

Rise Against - Swing Life Away

No comments:

Post a Comment