Monday, March 2, 2009

The great wave of sound

Soundwave Festival would have to be the best day of the year for me so far. Such a great array of bands, non stop great music from 11.50am till 10pm. I must admit by 5pm I was exhausted. It didn't help that I only had about 5 hrs sleep the night before, and the constant standing all day caused my feet and legs to throb, not to mention the massive graze on my leg but I'll get to that later.

The bands I saw are as follows: Mike Herrera (MxPx), Madina Lake, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, Jack's Mannequin, Forever The Sickest Kids, Underoath, Anberlin, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Hellogoodbye, Funeral For a Friend, Bloodhound Gang, Billy Talent, Houston Calls, New Found Glory, Alkaline Trio and Saves The Day.

Some highlights include: the MASSIVE circle pit Less Than Jake started by getting the crowd to lap the sound booth. Of course I get floored and ended up with a massive graze on my left leg. But it was worth it just to be a part of it.
Forever The Sickest Kids' cover of M.I.B. Never heard FTSK before, but I must admit I was impressed by their show, and M.I.B was great.
Anberlin, just for being Anberlin and putting on an amazing set.
The kids in the pit at Funeral For a Friend setting up human steps and trying to launch themselves over the crowd and the barrier.
The security guard at Funeral who was egging the pit on to jump off the 'steps' and amping the crowd up. Top bloke I say.
The keyboardist from Houston Calls who reminded me of a gay asian version of Christopher Dudley (keyboard) from Underoath. Kudos to him though, for being totally consumed by the music.
New Found Glory (I think) getting the crowd sitting down to start the mexican wave.
And a point of curiosity, why the bassist from saves the day threw his bass on the ground and walked off during their last song. I do have a feeling it had something to do with the stage manager trying to shut them down before they played their last song because it was 3 mins to 10, as a consequence I believe they played an impromptu last song which would fit in the time limit. I have googled it to shed some light on the matter with no success.

Overal and amazing day, and I hope I'm in Australia this time next year for the next wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment